Saturday 18 June 2011

June 6, 7, 8, 9 - Tinos, Mykenos, and Delos Islands

After leaving Napflion, we went to Troezen and went on a short hike to try and find the stone that Theseus mythologically moved to find the sandals and sword of his royal father, King Aegeus. We continued on and found an archaeological site and an old Byzantine church. I'm sorry to report but at this time, all of those photos are lost! I have a pretty organized file on my laptop and I have the feeling that I thought I had already uploaded the pictures and deleted them. I will have to have another look at another time. We then stopped at Eleusis, the site of the ancient "Eleusian mysteries," a cult involving the spring Goddess Demeter. Unfortunately, the site was closed. What we could see from behind the gate was spectacular, it was huge and the excavations found much of the original foundations.

A huge ferry took us to Tinos island, where we would spend three nights. I was lucky to have a choice of roommates, and another girl named Tracy and I got to be the only two in the room. I was spoiled to have some a nice girl for a roommate and have it only us. I have found the rooming situations difficult here, as I am not completely comfortable with most people and I dislike having to tiptoe around others. I also like to light incense while in the shower as I find it relaxing and it helps me to wind down before bed time. Tracy loved the incense, unlike other roommates in the past. I did not do much exploring in the town of Tinos, but we had a free day the next day after arriving. A few people that were old enough rented cars, and I went with another girl and we toured the island, looking for beaches. We found two beaches that were very beautiful and I got a great tan! The island was mountainous, like everywhere, with narrow, winding roads, like everywhere. I commend Erin for having the guts to drive on those roads with other drivers as I do not think I would be entirely comfortable to do so! There really was not much to see on Tinos, except for the churches that we saw literally every five minutes. I found out later that there were approximately 1000 tiny churches and temples on that tiny little island!

Here is a labyrinth I drew in the sand before the tide washed it away!

A stubborn little donkey standing on the side of the road, the thing would not budge!

A view from one of the beaches:

Next was the optional trip to Mykenos and Delos islands. I wasn't sure if I was going to go on it because it was going to cost about 40 euros extra. I did decide to go, and I am so glad that I did! The first ferry was a big boat but small for a ferry, but it went incredibly quick! I was so surprised at how fast that boat could go. After arriving on Mykenos, we practically ran around the harbour to the next ferry that left for Delos. It was definitely smaller then the first ferry and I was really surprised at how well I did on that boat! It was larger then I had been expecting, but I spent both trips outside looking out over the water. Very proud of myself! Delos was pretty great, it was an entire city that had been completely excavated and much of it restored.

The view of some of Delos coming in from the ferry:

If I remember correctly, this was a temple to Apollo:

Some general housing that had been rebuilt, it was very cool to wander in between and in the roads and look at everything:

Another temple, or possibly a treasury, with a giant mosaic as the flooring. Delos is a very cool place for all the mosaics on the floor that have been almost perfectly preserved:

Partly up a mountain, getting a view of more housing:

Hiked up some more steps and up a mountain. A spectacular view of many of the islands of the Cyclades!

A fine example of a Roman sewage system:

If I remember correctly, this is a restoration of the temple of Zeus:


Although I really enjoyed Delos and Mykenos, I felt like being on Tinos was pretty much pointless. There wasn't much to do nor see and I was actually glad to leave Tinos, which surprises me because I've really dreaded leaving other places we've been to. Next, we would catch a ferry to the island of Naxos.

No comments:

Post a Comment