Monday 2 May 2011

Journal Entry #1


   I could hardly contain my excitement waking up on Thursday morning. Sure, I'd only had one full day between semesters and that day was spent at work, but waking up on Thursday meant I was one day closer to entering the labyrinth. The class had been a busy one. I didn't know what to expect but I sure didn't expect to launch straight into the material. We began with introductions, which lead into a brief overview of the course outlines and what was to be expected during the courses. While I was aware that taking courses in college meant having a lot of homework, I was quite unsure as to what the Greece courses would look like. I was pleasantly surprised, a lot of writing, which I like, and some quizzes, which I can definitely handle. My instructor Dan brought up a power point presentation on the overhead projector, which took us on a brief and semi-visual tour of our trip to Greece. Each slide featured a picture of the area we were to visit and where we would be staying. While I had already gone over the itinerary and accommodations list previously, I couldn't help but feel the excitement rise in my throat. Pictures of terrain and of temples flashed before my eyes, four-star hotels overlooking bright blue water. Up until that moment, I was feeling like the trip was coming up so quickly. Now, it could not come fast enough.

And then I could stop here. To continue writing all my feelings- both of excitement and apprehension, could fill at least 15 pages. 

To introduce my reasonings for embarking on this trip, I feel is necessary for my first post. I first heard about the Greece trip while in my sociology class first semester. As I was leaving, I noticed a poster on the wall. The word Labyrinth shone out at me and, given my interest in labyrinths and my workplace, I had to stop and finish reading. Not only was it a labyrinth theme, it was a study abroad trip to Greece. Smiling to myself, I left the classroom, imagining how great it would be to attend the program, but knowing I could never afford a trip like that. Months would pass and I wouldn't think much of it, as I never noticed the poster again. At the end of the semester, I left the class once again, and the poster for some reason caught my eye. I stopped to read over it again, this time with a pang of regret that I wouldn't be able to attend. Sighing, I left and went to my work, where I soon lost myself to helping guests at the resort and learning new things on the web. A short time later, I would receive an email from the college, advertising the trip. This was the first electronic source I'd seen, and purely out of interest, I clicked the link to learn more. As I read, I learned how affordable the trip really was, and my goodness, it included travel writing? Months earlier I had read about the travel writing course on the NIC website, upset that it wouldn't be offered in any upcoming terms. And here it was- offered, alongside a trip to Greece, featured in theme with the labyrinth. I turned to my boyfriend and told him about the trip. Without even blinking, he told me to go. After hearing his support, I went to work and told my manager about the trip. Without even blinking, he too, told me to go. And now, after much financial planning, and through the support of my employer, family, and friends, I have begun my journey and without hesitation, entered the labyrinth.

~ Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment