Saturday 7 May 2011

Journal Entry #3

Wednesday and thursday's classes featured an in-depth discussion of the Theseus and the minotaur myth. Although I have taken mythology and am familiar with it, I definitely learned a lot more about it as I was unaware of how popular Theseus had become to the Greeks after his apparent slaying of the minotaur.

I was asked to write a list of expectations. While we weren't told of what specifically, I think I can categorize between my course work and the trip itself. I've learned a lot lately not to expect too much, because it is too easy to be disappointed. I've also found that when you expect things, you focus too hard on what you want and there are other things that may pass unnoticed because of it. But my assignment is to focus on a list of expectations, and although at first I thought I would have only one or two, I've found myself consistently coming up with new ones.

1. My first expectation of the Greece trip is that I will miss my kitty so much that it will almost become unbearable. That cat is my life and I can barely stand to be away from her for only a few days. Her caretaker is going to have to get a skype account so that I can see my kitty on webcam!

2. My next expectation is that I will be hungry a lot. I like to snack and because of my extreme diet limitations, I am expecting that I won't have as much to eat as I would like to. I could be completely wrong in this, but by expecting it, I'd like to believe I have accepted it.

3. I expect to learn a lot about myself. I have always had this dream of travel writing, and this is the perfect test for that occupation. Another reason I might learn a lot about myself is because of something I discussed in a previous journal, about being unsure where exactly 'home' is. I expect I might be closer to finding this out at the end of this trip.

4. I expect to get cranky and want some privacy. I am a very private person in need of a lot of personal space. I expect many long, hot showers to get some time to myself. I expect I will probably cry at least once during these showers.

5. I expect to feel a great deal of anxiety. I have struggled with anxiety issues my entire life and used to have a very hard time dealing with it growing up. I have learned many coping techniques and I am actually somewhat excited to find out how I will deal with being in a completely foreign place and not in control.

6. I expect to overcome my anxiety and have the time of my life.

7. I expect to be completely and utterly overwhelmed in a foreign place, with so much to look at and so much to learn. I could not be more excited to look at a wall.

8. I expect I will have brought at least one thing that was completely unnecessary. I am trying hard to eliminate all things that are not totally, one hundred percent needed.

9. I expect I will have eliminated something that I actually really needed, instead of something I didn't need.

10. I expect to make new friends and learn a new culture.

11. I expect to experience some pretty bad language barriers, but I also expect to be surprised at how little language has to do with communication.

I am sure that with more thought, many more expectations could arise... but I'd rather not expect, so I think I should stop thinking about it.

18 days left!

No comments:

Post a Comment